Butternut Squash Risotto
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes • Serves: 6
1 small butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups), divided
2 cups water
1 container (32 ounces) vegetable broth or chicken broth
3/4 cup Pinot Grigio wine
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups Schnucks Arborio rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 slices Schnucks hardwood smoked bacon (optional)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. In 2- to 3-quart saucepan, heat 2-1/2 cups squash and water to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to medium and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Carefully transfer squash mixture with liquid to bowl of food processor with knife blade attached. Process until smooth; return squash mixture to same pan.
2. Add broth and wine to squash mixture. Simmer over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through; reduce heat to low. Reserve 1/2 cup squash mixture.
3. In 5- to 6-quart heavy saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add rice; stir 2 minutes or until grains are completely covered with oil and heated through. Stir in remaining 1-1/2 cups squash pieces and 2 cups squash mixture; cook until most liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Continue adding squash mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until absorbed before adding another cup. This will take about 20 minutes until rice and squash are tender.
4. Meanwhile, if using, on microwave-safe large plate, cook bacon in single layer between 2 paper towel sheets in microwave oven on high 3 minutes or until crispy. When cool enough to handle, crumble.
5. Stir cheese, parsley and reserved 1/2 cup squash mixture into rice just before serving. Sprinkle with bacon to serve, if desired.
Each serving: about 290 calories, 5 g total fat (2 g saturated), 5 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 8 g protein