Cashew Chicken Skewers with Orange-Ginger Sauce
Active Time: 25 minutes • Total Time: 35 minutes • Makes: about 36 skewers
1/2 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, divided
2 Schnucks large eggs
3 tablespoons water
1 container (8 ounces) Schnucks cashew halves & pieces (about 1-2/3 cups)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2-1/2 pounds Schnucks Natural boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins (about 18 tenderloins), each cut lengthwise in half
36 (6-inch) bamboo skewers
1 jar (12 ounces) sweet orange marmalade (about 1 cup)
1 cup Schnucks refrigerated orange juice
1 tablespoon refrigerated Gourmet Garden™ ginger spice blend or grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower positions. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 rimmed baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. In pie plate or wide, shallow dish, combine flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. In second pie plate or wide, shallow dish, with fork or whisk, beat eggs with water.
2. Place cashews in large zip-tight plastic bag; seal bag, pressing out excess air. With rolling pin or smooth side of meat mallet, crush cashews. In third pie plate, combine panko and cashews.
3. Thread chicken onto skewers. Dip chicken in flour mixture to coat both sides, shaking off excess. Add chicken to egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place chicken in cashew mixture, pressing lightly so mixture adheres to both sides. Place in prepared baking pans. Spray tenderloins with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and internal temperature reaches 165°F, rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through baking.
5. Meanwhile, in blender, purée marmalade, orange juice, ginger, lemon juice, cornstarch and remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne until smooth. Transfer to small saucepan; heat to boiling over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Makes about 2-1/3 cups. Serve chicken skewers hot with sauce for dipping.
Each serving (3 skewers): about 328 calories, 11 g total fat (2 g saturated), 79 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 361 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g sugars, 21 g protein
Recipe can be cut in half, if desired. Enjoy for a quick weeknight meal to serve 4.
Flour and cashew mixtures can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Sauce can be prepared up to 3 days in advance; cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Reheat sauce before serving.