Coffee-Rubbed Beef Brisket
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Serves: 10 to 12
3 tablespoons Schnucks canola oil, divided
1 fresh flat cut beef brisket (about 5 to 6 pounds), trimmed, cut crosswise in half
1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup apple butter
3 tablespoons dark roast ground coffee
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 can (14.5 ounces) less-sodium beef broth (1-3/4 cups)
1/4 cup Schnucks granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Schnucks Dijon mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet®
1/4 cup potato starch
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place roasting rack in 14 x 11-inch or larger roasting pan.
2. In 12-inch or larger deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 brisket half, fat side down; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer brisket to rack in roasting pan. Wipe skillet with paper towel; repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining brisket half.
3. In medium bowl, combine onion, apple butter, coffee, garlic, pepper, paprika and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Rub outside of brisket halves with apple butter mixture; place, fat side up, on roasting rack. Tightly wrap pan with aluminum foil. Roast brisket 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Roast 3-1/2 to 4 hours longer or until brisket is very tender. (Internal temperature should reach about 180°F.) Wrap brisket halves in aluminum foil; let stand 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pour pan drippings into 2- to 3-quart saucepan. With whisk, stir in 1-1/2 cups broth, sugar, mustard and Kitchen Bouquet. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, with whisk, stir potato starch and remaining broth; whisk into saucepan and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
5. Thinly slice brisket across the grain and serve with sauce.
Each serving: about 619 calories, 40 g total fat (17 g saturated), 172 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 10 g sugars, 35 g protein