Grilled Corn & Arugula Pasta Salad with Scallion Pesto
Active Time: 40 minutes • Total Time: 40 minutes • Serves: 10
1/2 (16-ounce) package farfalle or penne pasta (3 cups)
3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 small lemon
3 medium garlic cloves
1-1/2 bunches green onions (about 9), cut into large pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 cup Schnucks finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup Schnucks extra virgin olive oil
1 medium English cucumber, cut lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2-1/2 cups)
1/2 (5-ounce) package baby arugula (about 3 cups lightly packed)
1. Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook as label directs; drain. Rinse pasta under cold water; drain.
2. Meanwhile, prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Place corn on hot grill rack and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until corn is browned in spots, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle, with sharp knife, cut kernels from ears of corn.
3. In small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Transfer nuts to plate to cool completely. From lemon, grate 2 teaspoons peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice.
4. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse garlic, onions, cheese, salt, pepper, pine nuts and lemon peel and juice until finely chopped, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber spatula. With processor running, slowly pour oil through feed tube and blend until pesto is thick and emulsified. Makes about 1-1/4 cups.
5. In large serving bowl, add pasta, pesto, cucumber, arugula and corn and toss until well coated in dressing. Serve right away. Makes about 10 cups.
Each serving: about 258 calories, 15 g total fat (3 g saturated),
3 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate,
2 g fiber, 7 g protein
If desired, prepare steps 1 through 4 up to 1 day in advance; toss salad ingredients with pesto as directed in step 5 just before serving.