Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sliders
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours 45 minutes plus chilling
Makes: 36 sliders
1 cup packed Schnucks light brown sugar, divided
1 tablespoon Schnucks ground ginger
1 tablespoon Schnucks garlic powder
1 tablespoon Schnucks onion powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 whole (unsliced) Pride of the Farm pork butt (about 8 pounds), trimmed if desired
2 cans (20 ounces each) Schnucks pineapple tidbits in unsweetened juice, divided
1 bottle (18 ounces) honey-flavored barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon Schnucks ground cayenne pepper
1 orange bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
1 small red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
2/3 cup matchstick shredded carrots
1 tablespoon Schnucks whole celery seed
3 packages (12-count each) Schnucks Hawaiian sweet rolls
1. In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Rub brown sugar mixture all over pork. Cover or wrap pork; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir 1-1/2 cans pineapple with its juice (about 3 cups), barbecue sauce, hoisin sauce, cayenne pepper and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Makes about 5 cups.
3. In bottom of 6- to 8-quart slow cooker, place pork fat side up; pour 1/2 of the barbecue sauce mixture over pork; cover and refrigerate remaining barbecue sauce mixture. Cover and cook on high 6 to 7 hours or on low 9-1/2 to 10-1/2 hours. Do not lift lid during cooking.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, toss bell pepper, onion, carrots, celery seed and remaining pineapple with its juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 4 cups.
5. Transfer pork to large bowl. Trim off and discard desired amount of fat. Remove bone. With 2 forks, shred pork. Remove and discard all but 2 cups cooking liquid from slow cooker. Add remaining barbecue sauce mixture and shredded pork to slow cooker; stir to combine. Makes about 12 cups. Serve pork mixture on buns topped with bell pepper mixture.
Each slider: about 333 calories, 14 g total fat (7 g saturated), 66 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g sugars, 17 g protein