Here are some quick and easy after-school snack ideas to keep the kiddies satisfied until dinner’s served:
• Top halved grape tomatoes with shredded Parmesan cheese and dried oregano then broil.
• Smaller-sized tortillas (6 inches) are perfect for creating a quick snack. Spread them with peanut, soynut or almond butter, and hazelnut chocolate spread, then place sliced bananas down the center and roll up. Or, fill a tortilla with spinach-artichoke dip or hummus.
• Skewer diced apples and pears with chunks of mozzarella and Cheddar cheese; serve with mixed nuts.
• Stir fresh fruit into yogurt and top with crushed cinnamon graham crackers.
• Top melba toast rounds with shredded pizza cheese, zap in the microwave and serve with salsa for dipping.
• Set out a variety of dried fruits, nuts, granola, cereals, sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, popcorn, pretzels, etc., and let kids create their own trail mix.
• Serve low-fat string cheese with pizza sauce for dipping.
• Make mini sandwiches using fun shaped cookie cutters.