King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes • Serves: 8
Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
1-1/2 tablespoon Schnucks unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
1 large garlic clove, crushed with press
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 jar (15.5 ounces) Schnucks mild or medium chunky salsa
1/2 cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk or water
1 Schnucks buttermilk or herb whole roasted chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 4 cups)
1-1/2 cups Schnucks sour cream plus additional for serving (optional)
8 cups Schnucks yellow corn tortilla chips (about 6 ounces), divided
1 package (8 ounces) sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
chopped green onions for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion and bell pepper are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chili powder, coriander and oregano and cook 1 minute. Add soup, salsa and milk; increase heat to medium-high and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. In medium bowl, from lime, squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. Combine chicken, sour cream and onion-salsa mixture with lime juice. Makes about 6 cups.
4. Layer 4 cups tortilla chips in single layer in bottom of prepared dish. Spoon about 3 cups chicken mixture evenly over chips and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers of tortilla chips, chicken mixture and cheese. Cover lightly with aluminum foil.
5. Bake casserole 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until edges bubble and top is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with green onions and top with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, to serve.
Each serving: about 488 calories, 30 g total fat
(19 g saturated), 73 mg cholesterol, 412 mg sodium,
23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 29 g protein