Lemon Coconut Layer Cake
Active Time: 50 minutes • Total Time: 1-1/2 hours plus cooling • Serves: 16
Schnucks all-vegetable shortening
4 small lemons
3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups Schnucks granulated sugar
1 cup Schnucks unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
4 Schnucks large eggs
3/4 cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
1-1/2 cups Schnucks sweetened coconut flakes
1 package (8 ounces) cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Prepare Lemon Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans, preferably light-colored pans, with shortening. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; grease parchment. From lemons, grate 1/4 cup packed peel and squeeze juice, about 1/3 cup.
2. In medium bowl, with whisk, stir flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat granulated sugar and butter 4 minutes or until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.Reduce speed to medium-low. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon juice and peel and beat 1 minute. Mixture will appear curdled. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
3. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, gently smoothing tops. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached and top springs back when lightly touched. Cool cakes in pans on wire cooling rack 10 minutes. Run small metal spatula around edges of pans to loosen cakes. Invert cakes onto rack, remove parchment if necessary, then flip cakes to turn top side up. Cool cakes completely, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
4. About 30 minutes before cakes are cool, prepare Lemon Buttercream: From lemons, grate 1 tablespoon packed peel and squeeze juice, 2 to 3 tablespoons. In large mixing bowl, preferably fitted with whip attachment, beat all ingredients including lemon peel and juice until combined. Increase speed to high and beat 8 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Makes about 4 cups.
5. To assemble cake, heat lemon curd in its jar with lid removed in microwave oven on high 30 to 40 seconds or until softened and smooth, stirring every 15 seconds. With a long, serrated knife, trim the rounded top of 1 cake layer to make it level. Place trimmed cake layer, cut side down, on cake plate; spread cake with lemon curd leaving 1/4-inch border around edges. Place second cake layer, rounded top side up, over lemon curd. Frost top and sides of cake with frosting. With hand, gently press coconut around sides of cake and sprinkle coconut on top of cake to cover. If not serving cake right away, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
Each serving: about 684 calories, 36 g total fat
(22 g saturated), 131 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium,
89 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein