Pineapple Salmon Kabobs
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes plus marinating
1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 cup Schnucks unsweetened pineapple juice
1/3 cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons Schnucks pure honey
2 pounds salmon fillets, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
12 (10-inch) bamboo or metal skewers
3 tablespoons Schnucks sweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 small red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges and separated (about 1 cup)
1/2 large fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
1. From limes, squeeze 1/4 cup juice. In medium bowl, with whisk, stir garlic, pineapple juice, coconut milk, grapeseed oil, honey and lime juice. Place salmon in large zip-tight plastic bag; pour pineapple juice mixture into bag. Seal bag, pressing out excess air; refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, soak skewers (if using bamboo) in water 15 minutes. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. In microwave-safe small bowl, cook coconut in microwave oven on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted, stirring every 20 seconds.
3. Remove salmon from marinade; discard all but 3/4 cup marinade. Alternately thread salmon, bell pepper, onion and pineapple onto skewers. Brush skewers with 1/4 cup reserved marinade just before placing on grill.
4. Place kabobs on hot grill rack; cook 12 to 16 minutes, or until salmon turns opaque throughout and internal temperature reaches 145°F, rotating kabobs a quarter turn every 3 to 4 minutes. Remove kabobs from grill and place on large serving plate; keep warm.
5. In 1- to 2-quart saucepan, heat remaining ½ cup reserved marinade just to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Drizzle marinade over kabobs and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Each serving: about 377 calories, 14 g total fat (3 g saturated), 68 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g sugars, 34 g protein
> Cook’s Wisdom
Serve with a side of your favorite rice.
If you have a grilling basket, place skewers in the basket and grill each side 6 to 8 minutes.