Polenta Ham Spoonbread
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes • Serves: 6
Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
3 cups Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
2/3 cup yellow corn meal
4 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter, divided
1 large onion, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
1 package (8 ounces) mini cubed ham, drained if necessary
4 Schnucks large eggs
1 package (6 ounces) Schnucks finely shredded Swiss cheese (1-1/2 cups)
5 large basil leaves, chopped or torn
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Schnucks hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 11 x 7-inch or shallow 1-1/2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In 2- to 3-quart saucepan, heat milk over medium heat just until milk simmers. With whisk, stir in corn meal; reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until polenta thickens, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, in nonstick 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8 to 9 minutes or until very tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally; add ham during last 2 minutes of cooking to heat through. While onion cooks, separate egg whites from yolks, placing whites in medium bowl. With mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
4. Into polenta mixture, gently stir in ham mixture, egg yolks, cheese, basil, thyme, hot sauce and pepper until well combined. Gently fold egg whites into polenta mixture. Pour into prepared dish. Cut remaining 2 tablespoons butter into small pieces and sprinkle over top.
5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until browned, puffed and internal temperature reaches 145°F. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Each serving: about 410 calories, 23 g total fat
(13 g saturated), 230 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium,
23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g sugars, 28 g protein