Potato-cheese Pierogies step by step
Pierogies are prepared in Polish households throughout the year and particularly at Christmas time. Fill your holiday dumplings with your favorite ingredients like mashed potatoes, cheese, fried onions or mushrooms. Or, serve them up as a sweet treat with blueberry or strawberry fillings.
6 medium russet potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds), unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
2-1/2 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter plus additional for serving (optional)
1 package (8 ounces) Schnucks shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
6 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour
Prairie Farms® sour cream and chopped green onions for serving (optional)
1. Salting cooking water helps flavor potatoes.
2. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick.
3. Add about 1 tablespoon filling to center of dough circles.
4. Use a brush to apply water to dough edges.
5. Fold and pinch edges together.
6. Press to ensure edges are sealed.
7. To avoid splashing, carefully add pierogies to boiling water.
8. Sauté boiled pierogies in butter until golden brown and crisp.
Filled pierogies can be frozen in a single layer on cookie sheets, then transferred to zip-tight plastic bags and frozen up to 6 months. Cook from frozen in boiling water as directed.
Boiled pierogies can be sautéed in a large skillet with unsalted butter and/or olive oil over medium heat 8 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning once or twice. Serve with sautéed sliced onions or shallots and sour cream.