Rena’s Whole Wheat Bread
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes • Serves: 16
1-1/4 cups water
3 tablespoons evaporated milk
2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) Fleischmann’s active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2-1/3 cups bread flour
1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons Schnucks all-vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons salt
Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
1. In microwave-safe small bowl, heat water and evaporated milk until it reaches 105° to 110°F. Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture and let stand 7 to 10 minutes or until yeast is foamy; stir to combine.
2. IIn bowl of electric mixer fitted with dough hook attachment, add yeast mixture, sugar, flours, shortening and salt. Mix on low speed until a dough begins to form; increase speed to medium and knead dough 5 to 7 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Meanwhile, spray large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Remove dough from mixer, shape into large ball and place in prepared bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rest until doubled in size, about 40 to 45 minutes. Gently punch dough down to release gases formed in the fermentation process.
4. Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with parchment paper. Remove dough from bowl and cut in half. Form dough into 2 oblong loaves (about 5 x 8-inches each). Place 1 loaf on each prepared baking pan; loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let loaves rest until doubled in size, about 35 to 40 minutes. Position 2 oven racks in center of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F.
5. With pastry brush, gently brush surface of each loaf with milk. With sharp knife, make 3-inch long score down center of each loaf. Bake bread 23 to 25 minutes or until a golden brown crust is formed and the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool loaves in pans on wire racks 10 to 12 minutes, then transfer loaves to rack to cool completely or serve slightly warm.
Each serving: about 140 calories, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 0 g sugars, 5 g protein