Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Orange-Pineapple Sauce
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes • Serves: 4
1 box (6 ounces) kosher herb or home-style stuffing mix
4 Cornish game hens (about 22 ounces each) or 2 fresh whole chickens (about 2-1/2 pounds each), thawed if necessary
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Schnucks garlic powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus additional sprigs for garnish
2 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter, melted
1 orange, cut into wedges (optional)
1 can (8 ounces) Schnucks crushed pineapple in juice
3/4 cup orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare stuffing mix as label directs.
2. Trim excess fat from hens, if necessary; pat dry with paper towel. In small bowl, mix salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle half the salt mixture inside hen cavities. Evenly fill hen cavities with prepared stuffing. Sprinkle outside of hens with remaining salt mixture and rosemary. Place hens in single layer in 14 x 11-inch roasting pan; brush hens lightly with melted butter.
3. Roast hens 30 minutes (45 minutes for chickens); add rosemary sprigs and orange wedges to pan. Continue roasting 15 to 20 minutes (20 to 25 minutes for chickens) or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh and center of stuffing reaches at least 160°F. Transfer pan with hens to wire rack and loosely cover with aluminum foil to keep warm; let stand 10 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise about 10°F upon standing.)
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat crushed pineapple with its juice and orange marmalade over medium heat. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve hens with Orange-Pineapple Sauce. If using chickens, with spoon, scoop stuffing from cavities and transfer to serving bowl; cut chickens lengthwise in half.
Each serving: about 905 calories, 42 g total fat (14 g saturated), 270 mg cholesterol, 1401 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 47 g sugars, 49 g protein