Sweet Potato Latkes with Spiced Apple Butter
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes • Serves: 8
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1-1/4 cup)
3/4 cup Schnucks vegetable oil, divided
1 medium orange
3/4 cup apple butter
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled
2 Schnucks large eggs
2 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Schnucks all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Schnucks sour cream (optional)
1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat 15 to 18 minutes or until very soft and caramelized, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, from orange, grate 1 tablespoon peel. In small bowl, stir apple butter, cloves and orange peel until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. With largest holes of box grater, grate potatoes. In large bowl, with whisk, beat eggs; stir in green onions, salt and pepper. Add flour, onions and potatoes; toss until well combined. Makes about 4 cups.
4. Line large rimmed baking pan with paper towels. In separate nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat one-third of the remaining oil (about 1/4 cup) over medium heat. In batches, drop 1/4 cup potato mixture into mounds in skillet; press potato mixture into 3-inch patties. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer latkes to prepared baking pan; keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture. Makes 16 latkes.
5. Serve latkes with Spiced Apple Butter and sour cream, if desired.
Each serving: about 299 calories, 21 g total fat (3 g saturated), 46 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g sugars, 3 g protein
Spiced Apple Butter can be prepared, covered and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance.