Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes: about 48 gougères
5 Schnucks large eggs, divided
1/2 cup Schnucks unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1-1/4 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour
6 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely shredded (about 2 cups), divided
1. Position 2 oven racks to upper and lower position. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with parchment paper. Separate 1 egg.
2. In 3- to 4-quart saucepan, combine butter, milk, 1/2 cup water, dry mustard, salt and pepper; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Add flour; with wooden spoon, stir vigorously until flour is absorbed and mixture forms ball. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 to 4 minutes longer or until film forms on bottom of pan and dough is no longer sticky, stirring constantly.
3. Transfer mixture to large bowl. With mixer on low speed, beat batter 3 minutes. Increase speed to medium-low and add whole eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. To check consistency of batter, remove beaters from batter. Batter should form a peak that gradually falls over on itself. If batter is stiff and peak remains standing, add egg white; beat on medium-low until incorporated. Reduce speed to low. Add 1-1/2 cups cheese; beat until incorporated.
4. In small bowl, with whisk, stir egg yolk and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Drop batter by level tablespoons, 1-1/2 inches apart, onto prepared baking pans. Brush tops with egg yolk mixture and evenly sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake gougères 6 to 8 minutes or until puffed and they hold their shape. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 23 to 25 minutes longer or until golden brown, rotating baking pans between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Inside of gougères should be hollow and just slightly moist. Serve warm or cool completely.
Each gougère: about 52 calories, 3 g total fat (2 g saturated), 28 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugars, 2 g protein
Baked gougères can be cooled and stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 day in advance or frozen up to 1 month. To reheat gougères, bake in 350°F oven 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.