Christmas Standing Rib Roast with Mushroom au Jus
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 50 minutes • Serves: 8
1 (4-rib) bone-in Certified Angus Beef® standing rib roast (about 8 pounds)
12 garlic cloves, minced (about 1/4 cup), divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
2 cans (14 ounces each) less-sodium beef broth
3/4 cup dry red wine (such as Cabernet, Merlot or Burgundy)
2 pounds baby bella, oyster, shiitake and/or white mushrooms, sliced (about 10 cups)
1 large shallot (about 1-1/2 ounces), thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in roasting pan. In small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons garlic, thyme, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, oregano and 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper. Rub beef with garlic-herb mixture; cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
2. Roast beef 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and roast 2 hours longer or until internal temperature reaches 135°F in center of roast, making sure thermometer doesn’t touch bone. Transfer beef to cutting board; loosely cover with aluminum foil. (Internal temperature will rise to 145°F upon standing for medium-rare.)
3. Skim fat from drippings in roasting pan. Place roasting pan with drippings across 2 burners over medium heat. Add broth and wine; heat to simmering. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. In large bowl, strain au jus through fine-mesh strainer.
4. Preheat 12-inch cast-iron or heavy gauge skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook 5 minutes. Add shallot, butter and remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer au jus to skillet with mushroom mixture.
5. Slice roast and serve with mushroom au jus.
Each serving: about 1146 calories, 80 g total fat (38 g saturated), 234 mg cholesterol, 1197 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 65 g protein