Creamy Potato-Leek Gratin
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 min • Serves: 8
2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter, divided
3 medium leeks (about 2 pounds)
2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 9 medium)
1 pint (2 cups) Schnucks whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 13 x 9-inch glass, ceramic or metal baking dish with 2 teaspoons butter. Trim off and discard ends and dark green outer leaves of leeks. Cut leeks lengthwise in half, then thinly slice crosswise. You should have about 6 cups. Rinse and drain leeks very well to remove any grit.
2. In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 14 to 16 minutes or until leeks are very soft and start to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer leeks to bowl. You should have about 2-1/2 cups leeks.
3. While leeks cook, peel and thinly slice potatoes.
4. Into same saucepot, add cream, cayenne, nutmeg and remaining 2 teaspoons salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until cream becomes very thick, stirring frequently.
5. Transfer half of potato mixture to prepared dish; spread half of leeks evenly on top, then sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes, leeks and cheese. Bake gratin 40 minutes or until potatoes are very tender when knife is inserted in center and top is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Each serving: about 533 calories, 33 g total fat (22 g saturated), 122 mg cholesterol, 887 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g sugars, 14 g protein