Create a Better Burger
Over the years, piling lettuce, tomatoes and pickles on burgers has become the most popular way to dress them up. But there are many other ways to build a better burger. Ready to transform boring into bold? Tame into terrific? Read on.
Mix it: What’s the secret of a better burger? What’s inside of course! Sprinkle in dill, basil, thyme or rosemary to add zest without adding calories. Or mix in minced onion, garlic, lemon pepper, Italian seasoning, flavored breadcrumbs – even Cajun spices – to give your burgers real zing.
All things equal: To make perfectly uniform patties like the pros, roll the meat in wax paper to form a log. Then cut into the desired thickness.
Be good to your burger: Don’t be tempted to press the spatula down on your beautiful burgers. You’ll lose the natural juices. Instead, using a fork, poke holes in uncooked patties. Heat will work its way through and cook the meat evenly.
Top it: Just before your burgers are done, top with your favorite gourmet cheese. Then get creative! Finish off with sautéed red onions, steak sauce, horseradish, sun-dried tomatoes, pepperoni, pizza sauce, grilled jalapeño peppers or Canadian bacon.
Stuff it: You’ve heard of stuffed pizza. Well, how about stuffed burgers? Stuff the center of an uncooked patty with blue cheese, sautéed mushrooms, shredded veggies or zesty salsa.
Choose your patty (beef, turkey, chicken, salmon, veggie, black bean, or even a portobello mushroom) as your base. Then, create a unique combination of toppings to take your burger from ordinary to extraordinary… the possibilities are endless. Here’s some inspiration:
- Mango Burger – mango salsa, avocados, cilantro leaves, Monterey Jack cheese
- Caprese Burger – fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil leaves, drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Greek Burger – red onions, feta cheese, kalamata olives, spinach, tzatziki sauce
- Hawaiian – pineapple, Swiss cheese, teriyaki sauce
- Euro Burger – chèvre cheese, beets, red onions, arugula, dill
- Polish Burger – cooked potatoes, sour cream, chives, drizzle of white wine vinegar
- Fire Burger – pepper Jack cheese, jalapeños, Sriracha-mayo