Greek Beef Saute
Prep: 10 minutes • Cook: 30 minutes • Serves: 4
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup), divided
1 cup orzo pasta
2 cups water
1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 large garlic cloves, divided
1 pound ground round or ground lamb
1 can (14.5 ounces) Schnucks petite diced tomatoes
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried mint, crumbled
1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion and cook, covered, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add orzo and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in water and 1 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and orzo is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add remaining onion and cinnamon and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden. Crush 3 garlic cloves with press into skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring.
3. Add beef and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat with side of spoon. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove skillet from heat; stir in feta and mint.
4. In small bowl, add yogurt and remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 garlic clove, crushed with press; stir until well combined.
5. Fluff orzo with fork. To serve, spoon orzo onto each of 4 dinner plates; top with ground beef mixture and a dollop of yogurt sauce.
Each serving: about 594 calories, 34 g total fat (13 g saturated), 96 mg cholesterol, 1605 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein